Sunday, November 22, 2009

Timmmmmberrr!

The last 3 months I've keep forgetting that a section of 233 is closed, I get to bottom of the Big Flat and I got to turn around and take Ridge Rd to the cabin. At least a pretty drive down a dirt road.
It seems this fall more than leaves are falling at the cabin. This tree landed on the power line, thank god it didn't snap the line. I didn't have my chainsaw with me. But I lifted what I could to take some weight off the power line. As you can see dump ass standing under the tree. I had to yell him to move, last thing I need is a tree landing on Elwood.

I final said the hell with it and found an axes and chopped a couple of trees down and just got everything off the power line. I rather be safe than sorry. Gets dark quickly in the woods.

About three weeks ago, back at the cabin and guess what? More down trees. One which was about 80 ft tall should had landed on the roof but snap in half and just scrap the porch and top part fell away from the cabin, once again got lucky. I decided to go up the following saturday to chop everything up, but I end up going sunday since I just about broke my hand working on my chainsaw.

I caught my hand on my table saw as I was pulling the cord for my chainsaw, dumb ass me moved the table a couple days early and I was working right beside it. Not too smart. It's been about 3 weeks now and my hand still hurts.
I know it doesn't look to bad but shit, that hurt. I haven't cried in years when I hurt myself but I did that day.
Pack lunch and the box I made a week early for my tools and head out.
The last tree of the day was a pain in the ass, all the trees I needed to cut up were already on the ground but this guy was leaning and just waiting to fall. I figure I better drop it since it could land on the cabin or the power which is on the other side of the tree.
I cut my wedge and start my back cut and turn off the chainsaw since I wanted to double check whit where it was going to land and make sure that Elwood is still in the jeep. Well I should have never turn off the chainsaw since I never got it to start until next week. I had to get the axe out and chop it down. It landed within 2 ft of where I wanted it to land. Don't worry Elwood was still in the jeep when it drop not beside it.
Have a little lunch with Elwood and pack up and head home.

2 comments:

earlofwarwick said...

Hi, I inquired about joining HUP United (I'm located in the DC area) and the folks at the HUP site directed me to you. I can't find an email for you however. Any guidance you can provide would be most appreciated. Thanks!

bluedog18 said...

Hey I'm here, what's your email? You can reach me at bluedog18 at hot mail dot com.