Monday, February 2, 2009

All Champion Out

Of course there was the Super Bowl last weekend but it was also the World Championship for men & woman cyclocross. I know I wasn’t expecting big things form the American men riders but bad luck for Jonathan Page and Ryan Trebon. For Page, I think he was having issues from a broken rib from an early race and also the stress from the missing the doping control and not being listed for World Championship roster until the last minute. Trebon was taken out by a camera boom!? Just to think he was taken out a year earlier in a head on collision when another rider cross the course tape. What I couldn’t believe was how the Belgian team rode as a team and not individuals and I think Nys Sven was surprised too, which he had a great race but came in 3rd. Albert Niels was a man on a mission, from the gate he never looked back and was gone.

Now the shocker of the days was American’s Katie Compton loss. She led most of the day way ahead of everyone with about 2 to 3 laps to go until Germany’s Hanka Kupfernagel and Nederthalen’s Marianne Vos caught Katie. Hanka and Katie did all of the work while Vos sat there and did nothing and at last second out sprint Hanka and Katie. I was pissed! She doesn’t deserve the World Championship, I found her to be quite lazy. Maybe simple put as Fat Marc put it on his blog, a dutch bitch. Is it being too harsh? Maybe but Katie took charge for most of the race but not end where it matter. Sounds like the Super Bowl, I thought the Steelers lost the game until the last second but pulled through at the last minute.

The USCF really needs to redesign the national jersey for the USA. Every nation you can tell which country they’re from since it has the country’s colors of or flags. But the USA, oh hell no! Red, white and black!!?? Black!? Where and in the hell did they come up with black! It’s BLUE! I heard the skinsuits don’t even fit correctly, let’s having someone who knows how to make cycling clothing instead of a shoe company. Nike has no clue what’re they’re doing. Poor Katie’s leg warmers rolled down her legs before the end of the 1st lap.

The Steelers won by the skin of their teeth. One of the better Super Bowls games in recent years. Katie Compton came in 3rd still good but still had a great race. The USA’s men, well we will have to see how they do next year and I do think Page will have a better year next season. Plus Mid-Atlantic’s team C3-Sollay’s Laura Van Gilder got 19th at worlds. Just think it was her first year racing cyclocross, now I call that a good season.

3 comments:

Jason Pearlman said...

Forget Tampa and Hoogerheide, the real action on Sunday was in College Park, MD. The Cross My Heart-Super Bowl of Single Speed race was sick. Full-on snow, sleet, ice, slush, and mud; creative, challenging, and fast course. You must do this race next year, and it it's too far from PA, then you're staying at my place the night before.

BTW, I nailed 5th in the C race out of 57 riders!

Oh yeah, I watched the Super Bowl commercials, then during the game I was checking out all of the on-line coverage of the World's. Great ride by Compton, even if she came up short. And the USA skinsuits do indeed need a big redesign. The Belgian skinsuits state "we're the Belgian Armada, and where here to destroy you". The USA skinsuits say "neat-o, we're racing in Europe, yay!!!".

bluedog18 said...

I read a couple of the write for the Cross my Heart race, sounded like a good time. I wished I was able to race, I even thought about coming down at the last moment but my back was still bothering me. It might have been good thing I didn't race, you would have kick my ass.

I agree about USA kits, something has to be done about them.

NVdK said...

You missed a good time at that race, even tho I (even tho the standings didn't show it) probaly finished DFL. Flat tire, dropped chain coming out of the pit.