Wednesday, January 21, 2009

A little work in the basement

Over my winter break I final got some work time in my wood shop in the basement, it's another great way for me to relieve stress other than racing cyclocross. But that wasn't the case for 5 weeks leading up to Christmas. I was having a new furnace and central air put in the house which had no air ducts at all, needless to say there was a whole lot of ripping and tearing in the walls and ceiling with a crew which didn't clean up after themselves. Nothing like coming home finding my floors looked like someone threw a bag of flour up in the air and just let land every where which left me stressed. The first couple of days home on break I spent just cleaning, it took me 2 days alone to clean my workshop and put it back in order. The work on the central air isn't done yet but at least they just need to hook it up and nothing else but at least for the most part the heavy part of the work is done.

The bad things about getting a new furnace besides the mess was I wasn't able to make my dad's Christmas present which I got started on after Christmas day.
Tell you the truth I love my table saw! It's my grandfather's Sears & Robuck saw from the 1930's which is still in great shape and better than most table saws on the market today.
But I still like my modern tools too! You might be wondering what I'm making? I was building a rolling cart to hold and air compressor and air hose reel, plus I was making one for myself too.
Plus durning this week I was dog sitting my parents' dog LUCCA! Don't let the cute & innocent face fool you. This was her can you play with me look since Elwood won't play face.In less than 60 seconds a get the LOOK of stop taking my picture and get your butt upstairs and play with me and give me a snack.Meanwhile Elwood was asleep on the couch. He's not much of a fan of hangout out in the basement like Lucca but again Lucca likes to find wood pieces to steal.

If you're not sure what to get a guy for Christmas that's a woodworker, you can't go wrong with clamps. I never have enough of them.
Wow! This is one quick dog, later that night I get up to check my email before going to bed, she's curled up in a little ball sleeping and I come back in less than 2 minutes to find her in the same spot sleeping but now with a pair of my socks and yes that's my underwear she using as a blanket.
A little sanding and add the air hose reel and my dad's air comprosser cart is done.
I think he liked his present.
Here's my cart, I still need to sand the sides but I'm happy with even though I like my dad's better. Next project should be a computer desk, it would be nice to get my computer off my dinner table.

2 comments:

Jason Pearlman said...

Well, from the sound of the post title, I was expecting some wild cyclocross bike bling, like the Rock Lobster with the new Dura-Ace group or Lieghtweight wheels or something like that, but cool post none the less. Hope you're having a good winter break, but don't stop riding.

BTW, you coming to the Proteus race in College Park, MD?

bluedog18 said...

I'm such a tease,haha! Actually I work on my bikes in the dining room. I'm not sure if I'm racing yet at the Proteus race.